Dec 27 2007

Me at Mirza Ghalib's Haveli, Old Delhi, Summer 2005

Today, December 27th is 211th Birth Anniversary of Mirza Ghalib, the legendary Urdu Poet. I don’t need to really say anything about him, for anyone who has ever delved into the tender world of Urdu Poetry knows about Mirza Sahab. After a long gap, I am posting one of my Nazms. I wrote this one during my trip to India.

I had actually written it 2 days after I wrote Meri Waaqif Hai, which for some reason everyone liked. Anyhow, this one was penned in kind of a Transcendental frame of mind when I was neither concentrating nor contemplating. Enjoy the Nazm and may Mirza Nausha look down upon it from his abode. For some friends who can’t read Hindi, I am putting up a recitation. I also played the Score of the famous song If in the background, which I had also performed on Keedy Night. Kind of like a fusion work. Now mates will know how hoarse I sound at 1 AM 🙂 Here is the MP3 if you are having buffer issues.

Comments So Far..
  • Anupam Dhar 29 December, 2007 at 12:53 am

Yeh nazm tumne kahan chhupaa ke rakhe thee ab tak ya maine nahin pade. Is it in my collection of your poems? I think I’ve taken this shot or was it Anil Taploo? Great stuff but lately methinks you have slowed down on your “shayari”.

• Gautam 29 December, 2007 at 3:13 pm

Pitaa ji, aap thik farma rahe hain. Lately, other things have prevented me from holding my pen. Hopefully the small drought will end soon. I think it was you who took this photo.

• Janki 30 December, 2007 at 1:27 pm

• faraz 4 February, 2008 at 1:16 pm

gautam mian. aadab. bahut waqt hua mulaqat nahi hoi. socha aaj aap ke khazanay ki talashi lain. zabardast kalam likha hamesha ki tarah. lakin ham jesay hindi rasm-ul-khat se na-bald logon ke liay ya to roman ya phir urdu rasm-ul-khat mai likhiay. takeh ham bhi is poetry se ziada lutf andoz ho sakain. ijazat dejiay. aadaab

• Gautam 4 February, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Faraaz miyaan. Aap jaise hazraat ki khaatir naachiz ne apni awaaz mahfooz rakh chori hai yahaan. Aainda roman me zaroor likhoonga!

• faraz 5 February, 2008 at 6:16 am

bari khushi hoi keh aap aainda roman mai likhain gey vesay agar aap ki ijazat ho to mai os roman ko urdu rasm-ul-khat mai likh kar aap ko bhijwa diya karon. takeh urdu ka jo asal maza hay os se lutf andoz hua ja sakay. khush rahiay aor isi tarah likhtay rahiay.

• ANIL TAPLOO 8 May, 2008 at 9:41 am

I was present with the talented photographer and the Poet.Rather I took him to these forgettable small streets.but overall an enjoyable movement.

• Gautam 8 May, 2008 at 10:05 am

Titu bhaiya, the streets of Ballimaran were not forgettable. It was a memorable trip!! 🙂

• ANIL TAPLOO 24 May, 2008 at 8:19 am

Mr.Gautam what i wanted to say was that people in india are and have forgotten LATE Ghalib and his left out place. I request people to visit the place to make memorable’

• Post Your Comment..