For many of us who were born in the 80s and did not get to experience India’s triumph in the 1983 Cricket World Cup, it was an unbelievable experience watching India defeat Sri Lanka team on 2nd April 2011 at Wankhede Stadium, Bombay (India). For those of us in the Western Hemisphere, especially US – getting up at 2 in the night and watch India defeat the invincible Australia in Quarter-Finals, Pakistan in Semis and the mighty Sri Lankans in the FINAL…it all seems like a dream now!! I have been watching World Cup since 1992 and still remember the humiliating defeat/forfeit India had to accept when the unruly crowd in Calcutta lost it and Sri Lanka won by default in the Semis in 1996. All Cricket fans still remember the inconsolable Vinod Kambli in tears towards the end of the game.
This victory was an apt reply in a lot of ways:
- Dhoni led from the front and played a Captain’s innings in its truest form.
- Sweet revenge after the 1996 humiliation at the hands of Sri Lanka
- A perfect come back after a disastrous defeat at the hands of Australia in the 2003 final
- Spot on reply to all who doubted Team India’s ability, especially after the forgettable 2007 World Cup!
- SACHIN TENDULKAR finally has the ultimate prize after a golden 20 year career!!
Hearty Congratulations to Team India and all Indians on winning the Cricket World Cup 2011!!!
Team Image Courtesy: Cricinfo